It can be challenging incorporating salads in the winter, when we feel like hot foods. Nonetheless, vegetables are important to add into the diet and a portion of raw food can help provide enzymes, fibre and nutritients we need that sometimes get reduced by cooking. Root vegetable salads are a perfect addition to the meal especially during the colder months with carrots, pumpkin, beets.
In Ayurvedic medicine, all the different tastes are combined into a meal, including some sweet. When we incorporate a natural sweet into the meal, you won’t crave a sweet dessert afterwards. For people that crave sweets, this is perfect !
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 medium Apple
- 1/2 cup Chopped pineapple (optional)
- 1/2 cup Grated coconut (fresh is best – or dry organic)
- 1/4 cup Dates
- 1/4 cup Roasted peanuts (or almonds or sunflower seeds)
- 1/4 cup Roasted or raw sesame seeds
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon (juice of)
- 1-2 tbsp Honey (raw, unpasteurized)
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper, coarsely ground, to taste
- Grated ginger (optional)
- Wash the carrot, peel, and finely chop it.
- Wash the apple and chop it into small squares.
- Chop the peanuts and dates into small pieces. Mix them with the chopped carrot, apple, and pineapple, together with some grated coconut, and roasted sesame seeds.
- Juice the orange and lemon or lime.
- In a small glass bowl, whisk together the orange and lemon/lime juices, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Holding the measuring cup of olive oil about 30 cm above the bowl, pour the oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly.
Pour the dressing on the salad ingredients, mix well, and serve.