Rhubarb is a versatile vegetable! You can make a full course meal with rhubarb. This time of the season it is nice to enjoy rhubarb in raw. The key for using rhubarb in raw is chopping really fine, so the tartness will not over power the taste of other food. Since tomato is not in season yet, this Bruschetta would be perfect appetizer for early summer garden party with local ingredients.
Also check my past recipe, Ontario Lamb with Red Wine & Rhubarb Reduction, for main course!
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 12 slices fresh baguette
- 2-3 stalks of fresh rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt & black pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 tbsp chevre (soft goat cheese)
- sprouts for garnish
– Preheat oven for 375F for toast. Mix 4-5 tbsp of olive oil and garlic for toast and set aside.
– Mix the rhubarb and shallot with the sea salt and black pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes, this helps the taste of rhubarb and shallot milder. Add fresh parsley & olive oil and mix all well. Let stand for at least 10 minutes for all the taste to be marinated well.
– Brush each slice of baguette with olive oil&garlic mix and bake in oven until the toasts are crisp.
– To serve, spread chevre on each toast, the top with the rhubarb mixture and add garnish with sprouts on top.