I was making a chicken soup today, and thought it’ll be great to share some of the herbs you can add in your chicken soup (or any food, of cause) which can help you fighting a cold! I will list by its actions:
- Antiviral: onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, summer savory, oregano, cinnamon, licorice, turmeric, sage
- Antibacterial: garlic, thyme, oregano, cinnamon, turmeric
- Sore throat: sage, thyme, ginger
- Stuffy nose: thyme, coriander, rosemary, garlic, fenugreek, licorice
- Improve immune system: ginger, licorice, oregano, rosemary, shiitake mushroom
- Cough: cayenne, ginger, fennel, anise, cardamon (spasmodic cough)
- Chills: ginger, cayenne
As you can see, your kitchen herbs are quite a wonderful medicine! I recommend you to try tasting the herbs a bit, and learn the taste, so you can start to imagine what food it may go well together. Enjoy cooking!
Note: there are more herbs that are indicated to specific symptoms. It is always better to get some professional advise.