This recipe was arranged from the recipe book, Hollyhock Cooks by Linda Colomon and Moreka Jolar. Macaroon is a coconut cookie which usually contains egg whites to bind all the ingredients; instead, this recipe uses molasses (or honey). So this is perfect for people who are sensitive to eggs! (You can also make it to be gluten-free easily, see the ingredients part below.) It is really easy to make and it is wonderful little snack for kids as well as for adults.
You can adjust the ratio of carrot and coconuts in a way you prefer and find your golden balance!
Makes about 1 dozen
- 1cup (240ml) graded carrots
- 1cup (240ml) shredded coconut
- 1/2cup (120ml) molasses (or honey)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (240ml) whole wheat flour (or buckwheat flour for gluten-free option)
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- 1tsp (5ml) cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, combine the morasses and olive oil with carrots and coconut.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and cinnamon, and add this to the wet mixture and combine completely with a spoon.
- Shape the dough into about 2 inch diameter circles and place them onto a lightly oiled baking sheet or parchment paper. Bake for 25 minutes, until firm to the touch. Allow them to cool on a cooling rack.