December is a social season for most of cultures. I am sure you have many invitations to the gatherings and parties. I am introducing this recipe for people looking for gluten free & vegan finger food to bring to the potluck or for your party!
Idea is from Quinoa burger, and we are now making it in mini size, just like meat balls. It’s nutty and crispy outside and I made this nutty, crispy appetizer for a big party and both kids and adults really enjoy this “Quinoa Balls”!
Ingredients (about 40 balls) :
- 1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa (well cooked side to make it stick together)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced in food processor (combination of brown/white and Portobello)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp flax meal (ground flax seeds) or any alternative flour (buckwheat, chick pea etc) to bind
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- sea salt & black pepper for taste
Combine the quinoa, mushroom, shallot, and parsley in a medium bowl. Stir in the olive oil, flax meal and all the spices in to the bowl and stir well. Let sit for a few minutes so the flax meal can absorb some of the moisture. Make small balls in 1-2 bite size, about 1 to 1.5 inch diameter (if it does not hold together, add some more flax meal), place on baking sheet (put little olive oil on the sheet).
Preheat the oven at 400F and bake the quinoa ball for 10-15min until all sides are golden.
Serve with Tahini Sauce (below) or Greek style plain yogurt for non-vegan.
- 4 tbsp Tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil (high quality extra virgin would be better)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp finely chopped chive as a garnish
Direction: Combine all the ingredients except chive, whisk together for a few minuets until the source is smooth. garnish with chive.