Finally sunshine is here in Toronto! Our garden has started to show some early vegetables growing nicely. It is always such a joy to use freshly harvested vegetables for a meal. So I put together spring vegetables to make this flavourful caesar salad. Dandelion green is bitter in taste (but yes, it is a great kidney cleanser!) so you can adjust the ratio of dandelion green and arugula for your taste buds. If you wish to add another colour, radish would be a nice spring addition!
- A handful of dandelion green, cut into 2-3″ long pieces
- A handful of baby arugula
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 anchovy fillet, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chive, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp almond powder
- mushrooms (3 eringi mushrooms or 8 button mushrooms)
- 1 clobe of gaelic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread (harder one is better), cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped finely
- sea salt & black pepper for taste
Combine greens, wash and drain well.
To make croutons, preheat oven to 375F. In a pan, place 1tbsp olive oil and garlic, heat in low heat to bring the aroma. Add mushrooms, dash of sea salt, and black pepper into the pan sauté until mushrooms are tender with medium-low heat. In a bowl, place bread, mushroom, 1 tbsp of olive oil, and parsley, toss well to make bread is coated with olive oil. Spread bread out on baking sheet, toast until golden and crisp for about 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool down.
To make dressing, combine all the ingredients, and whisk well.
In a large bowl, place greens, croutons, and dressing together, toss well and serve.
A perfect caesar!