I came across this type of beets & goat cheese salad a few times at the restaurants, and each time I did enjoyed them! The combination of the sweetness of beets and creamy goat cheese is simply great! So I decided to enjoy it at home too! In this salad, I also added maple syrup coated walnuts to give another layer of flavour.
In this season, you can make this salad easily at home with all local ingredients in Ontario. It is quite simple to make but the richness of the colours makes it to be quite gorgeous on the table. Thanks to the blessings of the mother earth.
- 2-3 medium beets – you can use different colours, too!
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 handfuls of your choice of greens (mixed green, baby spinach, arugula, dandelion green etc)
- Chèvre (soft, fresh type of Goat cheese)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
1. Wash and remove stems and ends from beets and place in a saucepan of water and bring to a boil. Cook on boil for 40 to 60 minutes, until you can stick fork or knife through beets easily. After cooling, remove skin and cut into thin slices.
2. Place the walnuts in a skillet over medium-low heat to toast. When walnuts are heated up and starting to have a nutty smell, stir in the maple syrup and pinch of sea salt. Stir well until walnuts are evenly coated, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and sea salt and black pepper to make the dressing.
4. Toss greens in a big bowl with the candied walnuts and beets then top with goat cheese. You can drizzle the dressing on each plate separately or toss with the spinach before adding other ingredients.